Academy Member Inducted 2020Map & Directions
Barry B. Fisher
142 Fenn Ave
Toronto, ON M2P 1X6
Cell: 416 999 3785
Recognized to Ontario Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation; Labour Arbitration
Other ADR Services: Med-Arb
- Practice Commenced1999
- # of MEDS (as of 28/3/23)1000
- # of ARBS (as of 28/3/23)25
Online / In-Person
Barry B. Fisher LL.B. is a mediator and arbitrator of both employment and labour relations matters. He offers three forms of ADR based on the clients’ needs: Mediation, Arbitration and Med/Arb.
Barry is from the evaluative school of mediation and brings his over 30 years experience as an employment lawyer and legal author to the dispute. In addition to his knowledge of the legal issues involved in these disputes , he also has a deep understanding of the psychological factors that motivate both employees and employers. By combining these two skills, Barry is able to achieve a settlement rate of over 80% of the disputes that he mediates.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Human Rights Act
- Legal Malpractice
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Workplace Rights
- Wrongful Dismissal
- B. A., University of Toronto (1976)
- LL. B., Osgoode Hall Law School (1977)
- Certificate in Fundamentals of Mediation from The Mediation Academy (1996)
- Advanced Mediation Certificate from Harvard Law School (1996)
- Advanced Mediation Workshop from ADR Associates, Linda Singer & Michael Lewis, Washington D.C (1997)
- Mediation Skills Workshop (Kathleen Kelly and Carol Albert) 1997
Memberships & Affiliations
One of Ontario's most respected employment law mediators, Barry was recognized in 2015 as a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators, an organization of leading commercial mediators from around the globe. Barry is listed in The Best Lawyers in Canada (2008-2013 editions) in the category of Alternative Dispute Resolution. He has also been referred to as a leading member of the employment bar in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
Barry is a frequent presenter at seminars and educational courses on issues relating to employment law, labour law, and ADR. He has served as the Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Section of the Ontario Bar Association and has sat on the executive of the Labour & Employment Section of the Ontario Bar Association. He is also a member of the Ontario Labour Management Arbitrators Association.
Barry was the recipient of the Ontario Bar Association 2011 Award of Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution and has served as co-chair of the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Employment Law Summit for 10 years.
Current Professional Memberships:
- Charter Member, Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Ontario Labour - Management Arbitrators' Association
- International Academy of Mediators
- ADR Institute of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association (ADR Section , Labour & Employment Section) Law Society of Upper Canada
- Past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association, ADR Section.
- Chair of Sub-Committee on Summary Judgement , OBA Taskforce on Wrongful Dismissal, Submissions to the Honourable Warren K. Winkler, Chief Justice of Ontario, April 30, 2009
- Member of Executive, Labour & Employment Section, Ontario Bar Association
- Off-Roster Mediator for the Ontario Mandatory Mediation Program (Toronto)
- Private Arbitrator and Mediator in labour relations and employment law matters
- Mediator & Arbitrator for OPSEU and Management Board of Cabinet in 1996 Civil Service strike
- Part-time Vice Chairperson of the Ontario Public Service Grievance Settlement Board since 1987
- Appointed as an Arbitrator under the Ontario Labour Relations Act
- Interest Arbitrator under the Hospitals Labour Disputes Arbitration Act
- Arbitrator under the Ontario Police Arbitration Commission
Please see my website for details.