Academy MemberMap & Directions
Recognized to Ontario Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Other ADR Services: ADR Training Services, Med-Arb, Mini-Trial, Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1997
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2020): 3000
- Total Arbitrations (as of Oct 2020): 100
Paul M. Iacono was called to the Ontario bar in 1972. He was certified as a specialist in civil litigation in 1990. His legal career was focused on the litigation of disputes primarily in the insurance sector. In 1996 he was made an honorary member of the Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association, for his response to new developments in the field.
Beginning in 1997 he expanded his practice into mediation and arbitration, receiving training through the Canadian Dispute Resolution Corporation (1990 and 1996), Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario Inc.(1992) and the Harvard Mediation Workshop offered through the Advocates Society (1996).
He became a full-time mediator in 2003 and in 2009, was honored to receive the Award of Excellence in ADR, by the Ontario Bar Association. In May 2007, he was made a Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators, and in 2011 became governor of the organization and in 2012 he served as treasurer. in 2011 he was presented with the alumni Gold Key award by his alma mater Osgoode Hall Law School. In 2013, the Academy presented Paul with the Presidents Award . In June 2014: the Academy bestowed upon him its highest honor, making him a Knight for his outstanding contributions to the organization.
During the time that Mr. Iacono practiced law he served as a deputy judge of the tropical small claims court for more than 25 years. He was the founding principle of York Street Dispute Resolution Group Inc. a panel of professionals focusing on mediation, arbitration, appraisal and neutral evaluations. This organization was merged with ADR chambers in December 2019.
Mr. Iacono has written numerous published articles on insurance law and mediation, as well as civil procedure in damages. Mr. Iacono is a frequent speaker and panel member at continuing legal education programs as well as at mediation and arbitration symposiums. He is the publisherd author of more than 75 papers.
For 12 years he was a director of the Foundation Board of the Toronto East General Hospital, now Michael Garron Hospital. He became an honorary director for life. For 10 years he was on the board of the Canadian Paraplegic Association, and is now on the board Para Sport Ontario. He is also on the advisory board of the Winkler Institute of Dispute Resolution at Osgoode Hall Law School.
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Community Associations
- Consumer Rights
- Contract Disputes
- Cross Cultural
- Disability Claims
- Elder Abuse
- Estates & Trusts
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Human Rights Act
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Sexual Harassment
- Shareholder Disputes
- Workers' Compensation
- Workplace Rights
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Dismissal
- 1996 ADVANCED COMMERCIAL MEDIATION
- Canadian Dispute Resolution
- Corporation Commercial
- Mediation Program
- 1996 ADVANCED MEDIATION
- Advocates' Society
- Lewis & Singer
- A follow up to the Harvard Mediation Project; How to deal with impasse and multi-party disputes; as well as designing A.D.R.
- 1992 ARBITRATION II
- University of Toronto
- School of Continuing Studies
- (Advanced credit course providing an in depth examination of the elements of law affecting arbitrations, with a special emphasis on insurance disagreements
- 1990 MEDIATION TRAINING
- Canadian Dispute Resolution Corporation
- (Trained in the techniques and skills of providing a structural process to assist parties in resolving disputes)
- 1990 SPECIALIST CERTIFICATION, CIVIL LITIGATION
- QUEEN'S COUNSEL
- 1972 ADMITTED TO BAR, Law Society of Upper Canada
- 1970 Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B.
- 1967 University of Toronto, B.A.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Deputy Judge, Small Claims Court
- Director - The Advocates' Society 1985 - 1988
- Director - The Toronto East General Hospital Trust Foundation
- Director - The Canadian Paraplegic Association of Ontario
- Member - Canadian Bar Association, ADR Section (Chairman, 2003/2004)
- Member - The Advocates' Society
- Member - Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association
- Member - Medico-Legal Society of Toronto
- Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators
Please contact our ADR Coordinator at 416-866-2400 or e-mail at adradmin@yorkstreet. Please visit our webpage at www.yorkstreet.ca to book now.